King fishon on live bait

Go on, show us what you caught from your Kayak! Where, when, and how are optional
kaiyakfisher
Kayak Make: Qkayaks
Kayak Model: escapade

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:43 am

landed these two almost two weeks ago but needed to down load pics off my dads cam.
Headed out of Whakatane heads about 8.30 with my dad and spratty, loads of small ky so dedicated my time to live baiting. first on the bottom, after an hour my lilttle ky was still with me so moved him to the surface under a balloon. An hour or so later my reel started to scream, heart pumping hard i tryed to wait for 5 or 6 seconds then flicked the lever on my alvey and it was all on. i let him run while i disconected from my anchor and shiped my live bait rig. there is nothing quite like having line peeling of your reel as well as a bow wave as your draged along :clap: after a 20min fight and 5 or 6 runs of 50m or so, i saw colour lots of it wow! another few mins saw him on his side i unfolded my gaf and on board he came. padling back to my anchor I was smiling so hard im sure my teeth were blinding the others. 10 mins later i was laying off line for the next live bait a 300mm ky, i had just droped my ledger rig when the live bait stared to go nuts and then the alvey again started to scream! off anchor, ledger up( i was surprised how easy it is to get the yak ready for a fight while a good fish is on the run, after all there not much you can do bar hang on untill he turns or lets up alittle.) only three runs from this kingi but they were bistering and took at lest 150m on the first. man this is fishing. on that first run i was towed right passed a boat I really had to put the pressure on when he looked to be heading for their anchor warp. just as i thought i could not put any more pressure on the line he turned and passed behind them. his runs were so hard an fast I could not stop myself from yelling in shear delight! which i did during each run, I think they heard me in town :lol: I found that by leting my yak turn side on i could put increase the pressure on him and some times halt his run. where would I put him? 1 good kingi and my storeage room was gone, ok so he would be returned. alas when he finaly came alone side i saw he was gut hooked and the blood was pouring from him. not much point returning him. I gaffed him and layed him between my legs. returned to my mates to let them no i was heading in.
I hooked 3 kingi that day, released 1 and had a very large ky take a live bait that was 280mm long, gready bugger. the first kingi was 17pound without head and guts, the second was 19 also without head an guts. both were hooked on a 4/0 tuna hook.
100_0882.JPG

yaking4snaps
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Tempo

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 am

Wicked mate, that would have been great fun. Nice job

kaiyakfisher

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:58 am

Does any one have any idea what the head and guts might wiegh for a king fish this size?

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Couple of very nice kingis there mate . Thats one of my goals this year is to get a legal king on the yak . :y:

kaiyakfisher

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi kk You are welcome to crash at my place any time you want to head down for a fish! the kingi are still around i lost a good one yesterday at the yak after 25min fight. we could get alot of fishing in on a weekend!

kaiyakfisher

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Hey just a thought i even have a spare yak here, no where near so well set up as yours but would save you hauling yours down if you didnt have the van.

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Sweet , i think the missus wants to come down in the next few weeks for her mums birthday . Im sure they wont mind if i go fishing :^)

kaiyakfisher

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:46 pm

If we fish at night while our ladys are |-) we mite even get a couple of fishes in! :clap:

Bronzy

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:38 am

Awesome fish mate Well done you make me keen as to try livebaiting :)

kaiyakfisher

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:48 am

ya its well worth it once set you can just forget about it untill the reel starts screaming.

nylg1
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5

Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Nice one kaiyakfisher :rock: . Be good to get back out off the point there at somestage when the sea is flat....

• Information