Modified Golden Eye or expensive firewood.

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
A ship of Phil's
Kayak Make: Seahorse
Kayak Model: 490

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:02 pm

The rudder lines are Dyneema line, not nylon.
I will have to re-tie after the first few fishing trips to remove the stretch from the weave. After that they will be premo.

I think downwind will be where I will really need to slow down, to keep up with others. During the quick launch paddle, whenever I returned to the beach, it just caught the waves and surfed on the smallest of waves, and just kept going and going.

Thanks for all the kind words. All I need to do now is learn to catch some fish.
Snapper - to small to measure
Kingfish - Still growing

Best fishing Trip - 9 snapper in 2 hours (first ever fishing trip)

Building - 5 metre custom design
RTM Disco
RTM Tempo – For Sale
Viking 2 + 1

Nakian
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 6728

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi,
did a quick backtrack to the point of yet-to-gain-a-deck and didn't see any comment about approx. weight?
Any ideas?
Your comment about the ease of surfing made me think it might be a factor (along with your skill of course) :^)
It's sure a quality job mate!

A ship of Phil's

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:09 pm

Finally got out for an unsuccessful fish on Saturday.
The great news is the kayak didn't sink, and the bad news is the fish weren't biting.

Compared to my old plastic yak, the wooden one is so much faster
I use to cruise at approx 5km's/ hour. I am now doing 7 to 8.
Top peak speed on the old kayak was 9.6km's, is now 11

And surfing was great. A couple of strong paddles, and I was on the wave long before it broke.

Everything mostly worked as I hoped, and the only bit I need to do is add some padding to the cockpit, as my butt got really sore.

Now I need to build a lighter one.
Kingfish - Still growing

RTM Disco
RTM Tempo – For Sale
Viking 2 + 1

AussieVan
Kayak Make: Seakswift

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi Phil, you've successfully done what I've been wanting to do and that is build a sot kayak along the line of a Stealth or Pinnacle, but retaining its sea kayak caractiristics. I kept being put off by guys who "know" saying it would be too difficult and will bee too tippy. So well done, it looks great and seems to go great as well. Another reason for wanting to build one, besides the fun in building it, was cost. I have a cheapie plastic Seakswift I use around the broad water on gold coast in Qld, but yearn for a glass ski I can launch through the surf to catch something bigger than flathead & tailor, but with two kids under 6 its not in the budget. So if I may, the question is:- How Much and any ideas bow to make it lighter?
Van

vundu
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 440 pro fish
VHF Call Sign: nil

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 pm

I take my hat off to you. :y: :rofl:

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:38 pm

The questions about weight - my SIK (Mac50L) was 13 kg before fitting out which included rudder, pedals, hatches with neoprene under the ply covers, decklines etc. etc. Total ready for sea weight 18 kg. It should be possible to get away with 20 - 22 kg for a SOT quite easily. Remember you don't need to glass over everything inside and out like the Yanks do. Just (only) use glass on the seams.

"The rudder lines are Dyneema line, not nylon." - We use a 10 cm of braided nylon to tie the Spectra to the rudder. It is sacrificial so if chafed it can easily be changed, or replaced every few years due to sun damage.

Speed and surf - we're talking about a "REAL" (TM) kayak here vs a SOT barge. Note if you broach in the surf make sure you attack the wave, beat it over the head, act agressively, and surf in using your paddle like a water ski on the seaward side, never the beach side. At one of our training weekends at Okains Bay I told a girl who'd just swum to think "aggression". She was talking to me the next year and mentioned that that was all she needed to get her surfing to work.

Surfing in sideways sometimes feels like riding on a corrugated road, quite "interesting".

A ship of Phil's

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 pm

The final compete weight is in the high 20'skg's. I haven't weight it yet, so not 100% certain.
I did glass both in and out, lots of filler, and resin, plus lots of first time mistakes, so it is heavier than it needs to be.

I agree a target weight of 20 to 22kg's is very achievable with a little bit of care.

I have used Dyneema as the rudder cables. I use it on my 6.3m Tornado catamaran, and basically, the it never wears out. You end up replacing it because of the age, and impact of the UV light on it's strength.

with surfing, all I can suggest is get out there and play in the surf. It's the only way to learn.
I agree with going for it, as catching the wave early is easier and safer as the wave is not as steep.
Kingfish - Still growing

RTM Disco
RTM Tempo – For Sale
Viking 2 + 1

Mac50L

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:45 pm

A ship of Phil's wrote:The final compete weight is in the high 20 kg's...
I did glass both in and out, lots of filler, and resin, plus lots of first time mistakes, so it is heavier than it needs to be.
We never glass the hull in or out (9 or 10 kayaks). The only glass is on the joins, 2 or 3 tapes inside in the keelson, maybe the same on the keel. The chines one layer outside, deck-sides, one layer. The "tape" is cloth cut diagonally and about 30 - 40 mm wide.

When ply is covered with epoxy, that's one layer. If there is glass there that's equal to 3 - 4 layers of epoxy e.g. if you use 1 litre = 1 kg for just epoxy, then there's about 4 kg if you cover with glass too. It all adds up - what would you need? 2 litres to cover the outside, 2 kg added? We're now talking 8 kg with glass.

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 am

Mac50L - if you are not glassing in and out, how thick is your ply?
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

Mac50L

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:56 pm

TwoSpoons wrote:Mac50L - if you are not glassing in and out, how thick is your ply?
3 mm Fijian kauri or Fijian maple (what ever that is) on the light ones, 4 mm Meranti on the heavy original Mac50. My partner's new Mac50, when she gets back to working on it, has 3 mm sides and deck, 4 mm Okume bottom.

AussieVan
Kayak Make: Seakswift

Wed May 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Have you done any more mods on it and do you have anymore recent photos of your Goldeneye SOT in action
AV

• Information