Rivets or Nuts and Bolts?

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:25 pm

What is the best way to attach things to your kayak, rivets or nuts and bolts or does it not matter and is it best to use a particular type of rivet?
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Personally, I prefer using 316 stainless bolts, 316 "penny washers" and 316 nylok nuts.

If you were to use pop rivets, You want ones that create a large mushroom and are "blind" - I believe they're called aircraft rivets. Avail in either stainless or Ali. and a pennywasher on the inside will greatly help with holding power

When selecting fixings, you need to account for expected (and maybe unexpected) loadings.

eg A flush rod holder has less leverage applied than, say, a Scotty type. However, a roll in the surf with the rod in a holder will likely impose a lot more stress than the hardest Kingie strike.

Sealing can be done with either Silicone goobed in various places, double sided adhesive neoprene gaskets, or cutouts from car inner tubes.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

glint
Kayak Model: 6m ?
VHF Call Sign: zmz6495

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:41 pm

I use well nuts available from johnson outdoors auckland, $1 each, they work well in areas that you cannot get access to, far better than rivets. cheers glint
SOF 6mt kayak

KayakPro

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Depends on what type of kayak, what you are fixing to your kayak and where?

Well nuts, bolts with penny washers and nylok nuts all from 316, rivets and self tapping screws all work when used in the right situation.

Talk to the guys that depend on there being no hiccups and who make a living from rigging kayaks.

Cheers

Shamus

• Information