This weekends DIY

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
scotttnz
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Today I finished of the centre well cover by adding a rubber seal strip along the join. I also added the gaff holder (the lid doesn't open with the gaff clipped in, but it is only really needed to keep it in place when under way.) There is a lack of good gaff mounting spots on the profish, and I decided this was the best compromise for me. I mounted my second knife on the lid in easy reach (Other knife is on my pfd)

I also ticked all the jobs of my kayak to do list:
Made a short leash to clip the light pole to the yak
Made a leash for my priest
Made a small berley anchor system out of a spare anchor and float that I had, so I can get the berley off the main anchor line. I'm not sure if the polystyrene ball I had will be big enough so will have to test it. If not I'll just have to drink a cask of wine....... :roll:
Sorted all my tackle and removed uneeded stuff from my yak tackle box, threw out rusty hooks etc.
Repacked my softbaits into glad bags that fit it a plastic container that fits nicely in the sounder well

So, we better get some good weather next weekend, cos I've run out of things to do!!

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Nice. You might want to flip that knife holder over though - that way the sharp side will be facing away from your leg when you pull the knife out.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

scotttnz

Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:35 am

I'll look at that TwoSpoons, but I dunno if it's possible with the way the sheath is made. Thanks for the suggestion.

scotttnz

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:48 pm

I looked at fliping the knife holder over and decided that the advantage of having the blade facing away from my leg is outwayed by having the grip in the correct, comfortable position as soon as i grab it. If I flipped the knife, the grip would be the wrong way around when I grabbed it, needing to be rotate in my hand etc, or grabbed with my left hand and transferd to my right, so not under full control immediately. So I think the current position is the safest and best overall for me.

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Fair enough. I know I spent a very long time figuring out where to put my knife - there turned out to be remarkably few options.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

• Information