Sounder Transducer Installation

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
Danfili
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:52 pm

hey Nakiman i also have a F N D and I'm also looking at a FF but think i might have issues with an internal install as the hull seems to have a lot of flex , how did you find your external set up , do you have any tips if i was to do the same set up . Nice set up Mental cool sticker too 8-)
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nakiman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi Danfili

The reason i went to the external mount was for that very reason. Every time I threw the yak on the ute the trany popped off.
Mine started out as an experiment that I was going to remake in stainless, but alas the fishing was too good to spare the time.
Tips would be to keep it as simple as possible. the first prototype had all the bells and whistles - spring loaded etc. Hohever if you balance the weight correct it doesn't need to be.

NM

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Tango9

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi all.
In regards to the batteries that are being used to power the FF. Does the fact that they are sealed mean that they can installed on the side? Is there a risk of leakage? Will it affect the performance at all? I can save a lot of space if I can have the batt standing up, I just don't want to risk the unit going pear shaped.
Thanks in advance.
Rehab is for quitters

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:39 am

Yep you can pretty much do what you want with them, and mine is also stored on its side in the garage, only time the battery is level is when it's on the water :)

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

N2Y
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8335

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:29 am

Mental, I see you have an Elite 4.5 with transducer scupper hole. Doesn't look like you have used this feature of the boat to mount the transducer? Not possible with anything but Humminbird? How come you didn't go Humminbird? Cheers.
PB's: Snapper 26.2lb :whew: ; Kawhai 3lb :?: ; Kingfish 25lb 8) ; Trevally 9.5lb :rock: ; John Dory 2lb? :lol: ; Gurnard 35cm :P

Mental
Site Admin

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:53 am

Yep I've got a Navman 4500, colour 5 inch screen, I picked this up brand new for quite a bit below the $1600 retail, that's pretty much why I've got it...

The issue is the Navman 50/200 transducer is huge and would never fit in the scupper hole...

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

N2Y

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:33 am

So just mounted on the inside bottom of the yak then? Any issues with that type of install?
PB's: Snapper 26.2lb :whew: ; Kawhai 3lb :?: ; Kingfish 25lb 8) ; Trevally 9.5lb :rock: ; John Dory 2lb? :lol: ; Gurnard 35cm :P

Mental
Site Admin

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:44 am

No issues so far.

1. A light sanding of the yak with some fine sand paper, just to take off the shine and give it some grip

2. A big blob of Sellys All Clear, I used about 1/4 of a tube

3. Push transducer down on to the blob until you are pretty much touching the hull

4. I added some more All Clear around the transducer to *grip* it to the hull

5. Leave to cure, on the level, for about five days.

That was over six months ago, my kayak lives on it's side in the garage, has been transported over 500km on it's side on the roof of the car and is showing no signs of coming away from the hull.

The nice thing about using All Clear (or any silicon) is that at anytime if I need to I can remove it and do it again as the silicon is easy to remove unlike epoxy resin which is pretty much inpossible to remove from your transducer...

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

N2Y

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:51 am

Thanks for the info. Just got me a Prowler 13 that has the scupper hole. Thinking I will eventually want a sounder and just trying to figure out whether to go with the Humminbird setup or something else (like the Eagle 245). I have read quite a but of bad stuff about the Humminbirds which is putting me off them a bit - previous to that thought they were a fairly good high end brand.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:04 pm

I don't think Humminbird have really seriously considered the requirements for the yak environment. It is a lot harsher with it's splashing, (or submersion) and knocks, than sitting on the dash of a conventional boat.

Lowrance and Eagles have a pretty good track record.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1800]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks for the advice on this thread (03/12/08) Mental re fitting transducer. Fitted it a few weeks ago just prior to a trip up to the Far North. It worked a treat and found many a good fish!

Ironically a mate was having trouble with his FF that had been 'professionally' fitted at start of summer. Turned out to be air getting in between transducer and hull :!: He wants me to fit his now :lol:

Cheers,

Yakman
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

Pizzaeater

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:06 pm

Right, my damn transducer connector finally arrived, and I got given a thru-hole transducer for free so am going to install that.... I have a Swing, does anybody have any experience/advice in terms of the best location on the hull to install this type of transducer? ... Thought I would ask as there is no going back once that scary hole has been cut out.. Yikes... .

• Information