Profish centre well cover mod

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
scotttnz
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:20 pm

What is one to do when the weather outside does not lend itself to yak fishing? Do that yak modification you have been thinking about for months of course! :ugeek:

I like my profish, especially the easily accesable centre storage well, but I never really liked the cover. To get access to the well you had to unclip the bungys right at the front, and that was a real stretch, which kind of defeats the purpose of easily accessable storage, so as a result I always left the bungys undone. Along came the fish finder, which I mounted to the cover, and it became more of a hassle. So I've been pondering this mod since I saw a few photos on one of the rigged kayak threads on the interweb thingy.

My cover didn't come with the bait board (half price sell out deal) so first up was a trip to plastic box for a plastic chopping board, which was cut down to fit in the recess. Then a trip to burnsco for some hinges and stainless nuts and bolts. After umming and ahing about where to put the hinges I nervously took to the cover with the jigsaw and drill, knowing that if I stuffed it up the repacement cost is $150 :evil:

But it all worked out. Now I can bungy the front on to the yak and open and close the rear section to grab what I need without disturbing the sounder.
I'm going to look for a couple more of the bungy fittings for the front section so it is more solid, and think about a rubber (or similar) seal along the join, but I think this setup will work a lot better for how I use the yak.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:38 pm

Thought about caulking around the bait board edges to stop water running into the well when you lift the hatch?

Looks good 8-)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Nicely done, looks just like a brought one ;)

All I managed today was putting another sticker on the yak and sharpening the gaff!

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:18 pm

Its funny how the weather turns crap, and we all head to the garrage to invent bits and pieces for the yaks.... :lol:
Well done tho mate, looks like a realy good and practical mod.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

N2Y
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8335

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:53 am

NICE 8-)

Maybe a flexible flat rubber gasket sitting on the joint might work nice to stop any water going into the hatch and still allow you to open it nicely. :ugeek:
PB's: Snapper 26.2lb :whew: ; Kawhai 3lb :?: ; Kingfish 25lb 8) ; Trevally 9.5lb :rock: ; John Dory 2lb? :lol: ; Gurnard 35cm :P

Harry
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.5

Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:18 am

Nice, looks really neat :) How is the Profish going? I am considering trading in my Prowler for the Profish. Just curious, how come you ended up placing your fishfinder on the larger hatch, thought the smaller hatch was designed for the fishfinder? :geek:

Cheers,

scotttnz
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks guys.

I'll look into the various suggestions for sealing the join, thanks for the ideas.

Harry, I really like the profish. I had the prowler 13 and the profish on my short list, and the thing that made my mind up was the storage in the centre well. Off the water it's a bit of a beast (I'm sure the P13 would be easier to get on the roof rack!) But on the water it is great. I took a while to decide where to mount the sounder. There are lots of guys that have mounted them in the fish finder well, and just as many who have mounted them up on the centre well cover. In the end I decided it would be easier for me to see and use up top, so put the transducer in the scupper in the bottom of the fishfinder well and ran the cable internally to the front of the centre well where the battery is and put the sounder itself on the cover. I use the fish finder well to stash my drink and some soft baits, so the space isn't wasted.

Danfili
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:24 am

Nice job there Scottynz
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ambo364
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Predator Profish
VHF Call Sign: ambo

Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Some serious rainy day work there mate looks mint. By the way if there are any of you wanting to upgrade to one of these, check out this listing

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =229395351

Theres one for $1500 with a whole lot of extras as well which seems pretty good to me. THe storage aspect is definitely what sells it to most fisho's, but its a serious piece of plastic with quite a bit more weight than the P13.
Better stay home guys, Maori calendar says Bad Fishing...YEAH RIGHT

G1

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:15 pm

Thats a pretty sweet looking hatch.

DanDan
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:37 pm

scottnz nice job. I have just done exactly the same lid on centre well for my Prowler. I will post photo's when fully finished!

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:28 am

hey Dan,
Very interested in what you have done to the prowler mate.....

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• Information