Prowler Centre Pot mod - Detailed.

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Objectives:
- Remove and replace teeny margarine pot moulded into Prowlers with useful sized container.
- Must not permit water access into hull
- Must be durable
- Must not seriously weaken hull.

Materials:
- 5mm drill
- Hacksaw blade
- 3mm Hex key
- 5 litre"Seal-Line" Brand Dry bag About $20 - $25 at most outdoor stores

Remove hatch lid and flange
[attachment=4]1.jpg[/attachment]
Drill two holes where pot moulding changes form - about 40mm below deck surface.
Leaving this lip ensures strength is retained, and gives a face for the bag to seal against.

[attachment=3]2.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]3.jpg[/attachment]

Measure and cut top off bag.

Cut a 25mm slit to allow overlap and a tight fit
5.jpg
5.jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Fit hatch rim into bag, bag into hull and relocate hatch
(this will be a tight fit - work it in evenly until you can get the screws to bite in the threads, then tighten evenly doing opposite sides in turn)
6.jpg
6.jpg (41.36 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Fill bag with junk. :mrgreen:
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (17.4 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

N2Y
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8335

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks HLD! :D

So no adhesive required between the hatch lid and bag?
PB's: Snapper 26.2lb :whew: ; Kawhai 3lb :?: ; Kingfish 25lb 8) ; Trevally 9.5lb :rock: ; John Dory 2lb? :lol: ; Gurnard 35cm :P

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:42 pm

Not needed.
It's not going to take any water pressure and believe me, it's a tight fit without any goop.

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

N2Y

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 pm

I believe! 8-)

Thanks again.
PB's: Snapper 26.2lb :whew: ; Kawhai 3lb :?: ; Kingfish 25lb 8) ; Trevally 9.5lb :rock: ; John Dory 2lb? :lol: ; Gurnard 35cm :P

Hairy Little Dwarf

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:53 pm

112+ views in less than 90 minutes ??? :shock:

Does someone know something I don't? :? :lol:

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:58 pm

Yep this is a pretty popular site these days HLD...

SO... seeing as you took this apart, does the standard pot leak from the screw lid or the seal under the flange? Whilst I never expect anything on the yak to be 100% water tight, if I could reduce the amount mine leaks right now it would be good...

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hairy Little Dwarf

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:12 am

The problem with the leak is that the thread is recessed with no cover. A better design would have the hatch lid sit slightly proud with an oversize shroud to cover the thread and shed some of the water.

I fitted an 'O' ring to the lid at the top of the thread and that seems to help a lot with the dribble. The seal under the rim is a double sided adhesive foam, which is watertight.

N2Y

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 am

I was planning on giving this genius idea of HLD's a go on my P13. :D

Seeing how many people seem interested (just going by the number of views last night) I asked a few suppliers of the Baja 5L dry bags if they would be interested in doing a bulk buy discount on them.

I have so far had a pretty positive response so just wondered how many of you would be keen on getting one and having a go at the mod?

The retail (from what I have seen so far) is about $45 and so I guess I'm hoping for maybe a 10-15% discount depending on quantity.

Just a thought... :idea:
Last edited by N2Y on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hud
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 am

ive had really good results with stopping leaks on the center well and the front hatch in my prowler by giving the threads (on the center well) and the rubber seal on the front hatch a generous smear of silicon grease. it actually suprised me how much of a difference it made, espescially with the front hatch, after intentionally capsizing the yak it was still dry inside. the grease may need to be refreshed every now and then but it does last a while and is pretty cheap. plus it tends to make the center well easier to open as i found it tended to be a right **** to open at times (maybe due to teperature/pressure changes?).

anyway thats my two cents.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Problem with grease is it's a sand/grit/fish scale magnet. The O ring I have on mine seals, but thinking about it (I love these chats over tea :D ) that thin foam door draught strip would give a good seal without having to nip the thread up tight.

Recommend replacing one side of each of the straps on the front hatch with 1" heavy elastic (could even use strips of inner tube I suppose) - allows you to crank up the pressure onto the seal. Mine used to let obscene amounts of water (litres) in due to water pressure lifting the leading edge of the lid when punching through waves.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks for the insight HLD, some ideas to try... ;)

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hairy Little Dwarf

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:02 pm

Should 'fess up that this version of the hatch mod isn't an original idea - Picked up the Seal Line tip from somewhere in Webland.

DogFish
Kayak Make: Kaskazi & Hobie
Kayak Model: Marlin & Adventure Island

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:13 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Should 'fess up that this version of the hatch mod isn't an original idea - Picked up the Seal Line tip from somewhere in Webland.
Here's the original post from the "other forum" including how to install a better hatch.
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/fo ... tch#527809

DIY DogFish
I only fish on days ending with a "Y"

Hairy Little Dwarf

Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:20 am

Ahh....THAT's where I saw it

Thanks DF

N2Y

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Hey HLD how did you pry the hatch out? :$ I removed the screws on mine this arvo and had a prod (even :swear: at it) but she seems pretty solid. Maybe they glue them in place now?

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:40 pm

It (was) sealed with a pretty tenacious double sided adhesive neoprene-like tape.

Used a large screwdriver first time, and slowly worked around the edge.
Second one was easier after I poured some hot water into the pot about 10 min before I started.

N2Y

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Cheers.

I'll have to have a more concentrated battle with it tomorrow. :lol:

I'm guessing you put the hot water in and closed the hatch lid (to soften the glue a bit)? :?:

• Information