Where do I buy Reflective Tape?

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
G1
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:55 pm

Im looking around to buy some silver reflective tape and Im having no luck.. Ive tried Burnsco,Mitre 10, Bunnings, 2 safety shops, next on my list is a bike shop . Can anyone help me?

Cammie
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayaks
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite 4.5
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4893

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:43 pm

George, I have a little left - a metre of so, give me an address by personal message in this forum and I will get it to you - and best still, its a freebie! :o :o

There is an earlier post/topic in the Buy and Sell forum on this and a photo is there as well

Cam Ronald
021 645155
Cam Ronald
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMW4893

Hooky
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Canoe and Kayak on Sandringham Rd, Akl sells reflective tape.....

Cammie
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayaks
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite 4.5
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4893

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi George, will get it in the post tomorrow, Cheers, Cam
Cam Ronald
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMW4893

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:30 am

Sailors corner in westhaven auckland.
$16 / m

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Kayak Chris is that $16 per 1 meter ?. Why is this stuff so expensive and or hard to get ? what colours is the go ? or is red and green the go as in port and starboard for the yak and white for your hat ???

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Yes it'as a cray price, strange really as there is miles of it used every year on road signs and the like.. I got mine from Canoe & Kayak on the shore, enough for my kayak and paddle for $5 - and yes just white, no requirement for colours on a kayak :)

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:47 pm

There are basically two types: glass bead and microprism. The glass bead reflector is fairly cheap, being simply lots of tiny glass balls stuck to a surface, and is what you typically find on clothing. The microprism material is more expensive, made by embossing a material like acrylic or PVC, often aluminised on the back, and is used in road signs. The microprism material has higher performance - the return angle of the reflected light is much tighter. Its expensive because the tool to make it is expensive - being thousands of thin nickel plates with precisely machined facets.

How do I know? The company I work for uses microprism reflector for making optical touchscreens, so I've spent many an hour analysing the stuff. All of ours has a black IR filter on it , so not much use for kayaks, unfortunately.
2 Major manufacturers: 3M, and Avery-Dennison.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:55 pm

That man knows his reflectives....
I work for one of the largest label manufactures in the country, who are Avery's largest customer, but trust me for the price we get if for and the amount you have to order (belive it or not it is not a stock item in this country), you are better off buing off places like sailors corner or canoe and kayak.
If you can, get the SOLACE tape, as it is effectively certified as a marrine reflective tape. (thats the stuff at sailors corner, not sure about canoe and kayak).

Yes it is $16 per 1 m, and yes stick with white.
It is expensive, but a meter does go a long way on a kayak, and it may save your life, so a small price to pay.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:58 pm

So white it is, microprism built, but from the stuff you have been using I take it is self adhesive? and if so how is it holding up with the water contact? if not what are you using to adhere it? . Mental for $5 how much did you get?. if its reflective for safety reasons why only white being used ?

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:55 am

White will give the brightest return - its sending back ALL the light, not just one colour.
The other issue is colours like red or green could be confused with port/startboard lights or signal beacons.

Of course, reflective material only works if the person looking at you is close to the light source - like with car headlamps. I don't recall seeing many fizz boats with headlamps!
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:12 pm

awondering wrote:So white it is, microprism built, but from the stuff you have been using I take it is self adhesive? and if so how is it holding up with the water contact? if not what are you using to adhere it? . Mental for $5 how much did you get?. if its reflective for safety reasons why only white being used ?
I got enough for $5, strips on my bow and stern, and some on my paddle blades and shaft. It's is self adhesive and it's not parted ways with my kayak yet... it is meant for years of use in road signs etc...

The cost issue i think is related to the fact that you have to buy a 500m roll off 3M and there aren't many retailers that would ever sell that much...

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:15 pm

It's a real Godsend from a SAR point of view if it all turns to custard though, and well worth having.
One drowning victim was visible only by the reflective piping on the running shoes in the surf at a distance of around 30 - 50m.
(Put a small patch of it on the underside of the hull as well...just in case)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

• Information