View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
High Intensity Submersible Flounder light for Yak 

Post High Intensity Submersible Flounder light for Yak
Imagine drifting silently across the flats with a car spotlight illuminating those tasty flatties...

This is not a new design, but I haven't seen it broken down into a how to before, so here goes:

Gather your ingredients (These are approx RRP):
Test tube 150mm Schott $1.00
12v 50w Transverse Halogen capsule bulb $13.00
Cable @ 0.98/m $9.80
IP68 electrical Polyamide cable gland 3-6.5mm x 1 $3.00
IP68 electrical Polyamide cable gland 13-18mm x 1 $6.40
Superglue / Araldite
Touch of silicone sealant
Soldering iron
Beer
I had finished the beer by this stage ;)

The domed locking collar of the big gland will probably have to be opened up slightly to give a tight fit over the test tube - this isn't a watertight fit, so don't worry about going slightly overboard.

With the rubber washer and locking ring in place on the small gland, apply adhesive of your choice and jam it into the locking ring end of the larger gland. Once cured, carefully apply a small bead of silicone in the recess (facing you in the following pic) up to the base of the thread of the small domed locking collar. I have used 5 minute araldite for this quite successfully, by introducing the glue, then warming the assembly so the araldite thins and flows ready into the bottom of the collar.

Next solder your cable to the halogen bulb - I use 12v 50W units. Try to avoid handling the bulb capsule with fingers as the oils and acids from your fingers at the high temps apparently have a detrimental effect...so they say. Keep the bare ends short and you won't have to worry about sleeving the contacts. Use a round cable if you can, I used a 2 core light mains lead here.
Crappy soldering innit :oops:

Feed the lead through the gland assembly with a sniff of silicone where it sits in the small cable gland, then slide the test tube over the bulb and with a touch more silicon clamp it GENTLY into the gland. Try and have the bulb sitting so it doesn't touch the sides - I use a small wad of pink batts around the cable/bulb connections (not shown in this one). Whatever you use it must be rated for mega temperatures.

Run the cable to the car battery in the rear tankwell and plug it in (A 25A fuse wouldn't go amiss, just in case your connection in the test tube gets jiggy for some reason). Instant nuclear fishin !(very weak pun)

Points to note:
Turning it on then lowering into water will result in a pop and it all goes dark.
Pulling it out of the water before turning it off is likely to have a similar result, or you'll watch it slowly eat its way into your hull :mrgreen:
QI Bulbs are VERY sensitive to being dropped, nudged or even looked at the wrong way - treat with kid gloves when out of the water - the batts in the tube help cushion this, but the raw mega-candlepower of this beastie is worth it 8-)

This sits down through the scupper in the footwell, and away you go - this is a test fit before the bulb was added.

I have used these to around 2m without any problems for squiddies, but don't see why they shouldn't go deeper if you're after giant squid :twisted: .

Any questions?

Cheers
HLD

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Public Service Announcement:
Youtube Clip

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: High Intensity Submersible Flounder light for Yak
Damm good idea Hairy, given me an idea for the Tauranga flatties as well!!

Connoisseur of fine beers and ales!

Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 pm

...Finally got a pic of it in action!

Pinched the battery off the ride-on mower which gave 3 Hrs easily, and was a lot easier to handle than a car battery.

This shot was in about a foot and a half of water, the useful spread of light in operation is around a 6' radius.
Attachment:
fitted.jpg
[ Viewed 2893 times ]

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Youtube Clip

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:23 pm
Profile WWW

Nice!
What type of beer to I need?

Warning: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:54 pm
Profile WWW

Yea looks realy good.
This gives me another idea.... watch this space. ;)

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:12 pm
Profile WWW

Underbody lighting.....dam boyracers! :lol:

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Nice idea HLD. Was it succesful in attracting squid? Would be useful for catching baitfish off the wharf also.

"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:59 pm

Yep, got a good squid haul when I tried it.

Also attracts piper and other baitfish, although there are easier methods of getting bait.

Youtube Clip

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

where do you but test tubes?

I was once a Image
Its debatable whether awondering actually got the class clown award as I received this award from 1987-1997 consecutively. The only explanation is he was class clown in the 70's.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:43 pm

You can always PM me your postal address and I'll send one down to you... :mrgreen:

Youtube Clip

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 am