PF440 tackle pod set up

Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum
GSS
Kayak Make: Scrambler
Kayak Model: super mega XT

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:44 pm

Hey guys, I've been trolling through looking for some solid 'Plug and Play' ideas for a tackle pod on a 440 and I haven't come across a hell of alot. is there anyone out there that have their battery stowed in the pod with an external plug that can put up with the conditions it's going to be put through? Just asking coz the boys down at burnsco at seaview told me it can't be done....the challenge is on!. Cheers guys

woodstock
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 pm

What fish finder you using.Have install lowrance elite-4 on pf400 and put battery in tackle pod and run power cable inside like in reload pod.I may do this when I get tackle pod for my pf440 or leave battery in softbait well in front of seat

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
Last edited by woodstock on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GSS

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:22 pm

Im running the elite 4 as well. I've had a good look inside the front hatch area but shes bloody tight i doubt i'll be able get my mits in there. I've got a fair idea just wondering if there are any good quality plugs that I can install that will handle the thrashing of the saltwater

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:11 am

I've used a number of connectors over the years for power supplies on kayaks. Good quality water resistant models can be found, but require just as much maintenance as the non-waterproof versions.

Most of the failures I experienced in the early days weren't because the connectors leaked, but because of salt water contamination that occurred when unplugging back on the beach. Fail to remove this and the salt buildup over time allows electrolysis to eat the contacts whenever power is connected. The problem is that we think of them as waterproof and therefore assume there won't be corrosion until its too late.

I've now gone down a different path for my power connections between my kayaks and pods (remembering I run sounders, fixed mount VHF radios, and live bait pumps in my Reload and GT Tackle Pods with the batteries inside the kayak). I'm using cheap heavy duty non-waterproof automotive connectors. They get rinsed with fresh water after every session (a hefty squirt from my drink bottle if on multi-day trips), and at the end of each trip a flush with CRC 2.26 contact cleaner/enhancer before a quick paint with CRC dielectric grease.

What I like about this system:
- Any corrosion is readily visible so there aren't any surprises when you go to power up on the beach
- The maintenance is fast and easy
- The plugs are inexpensive and easy to source if replacement is needed (unlike many good quality waterproof systems)
- Using this system I typically get at least 18 months before I decide to replace a connector
Attachments
Electrical connections 20161101.jpg
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Been using the same connectors for a while and solder directly to the battery terminals. I use the Lanocote heavy grease that the boat builders to help prevent corrosion. Seems to have worked so far.... Touch wood !

GSS

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks guys your help goes a long way towards the perfect set up. I have spent abit of time reading up on everyone's experience with electrolysis. Abit of pain in everyone's ass so it's great to get some solid advice on keeping clear of it. Thanks guys

• Information