landing net stowage

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
quiet man
Kayak Make: switch
Kayak Model: core

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 pm

So I have a new reload and loving that I do not have to make too many mods to get it set up the way I want. Have added a couple of tubes up at the nose for stowing rods when coming back in through surf and everything else gets packed into the tackle pod. The one thing I am not sure what to do with for surf re-entry is my landing net. Normally I have it sitting in one of the rod holders behind the seat, but this puts it in danger if I turtle. Does anyone have any good ideas on where and how to stow?

Also, another question, if and when I turtle, the high point on my upturned yak will be my fishfinder. Am worried that a crash in the shallows might result in damage, broken bracket etc. What do you all do here?

Thanks for any advice.

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 am

Its the same on a Prowler with my setup, no spare spot for the landing net.
I've given up worrying and just drape it over the front, making sure it's clipped on. If (when) I turtle it stays attached to the kayak.

I carry a spare dry bag and if I think there is any chance of a capsize I disconnect the fishfinder and pack it away before tackling the surf

quiet man
Kayak Make: switch
Kayak Model: core

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:23 am

yeh, thinking I might end up doing same with the net and just lying it across the back over the chillpod.

My sounder (Lowrance 7xElite HDi) is not so easy to unplug when sitting in kayak, and unplugging would leave the plastic bracket pretty exposed to being snapped if it hit the ground. I am now thinking I might remount the bracket onto a railblazer port so that I can take off bracket aswell and would also make it easier to disconnect cables. I would then bag it and probably get it into my tacklepod if I get rid of some of the stuff I normally take out each trip but never use.

What do you guys do to flush out cables (I have both male and female cables going into back of fishfinder) after a trip in which they get salt water in them?

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am

quiet man wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:23 am

My sounder (Lowrance 7xElite HDi) is not so easy to unplug when sitting in kayak, and unplugging would leave the plastic bracket pretty exposed to being snapped if it hit the ground. I am now thinking I might remount the bracket onto a railblazer port so that I can take off bracket aswell and would also make it easier to disconnect cables. I would then bag it and probably get it into my tacklepod if I get rid of some of the stuff I normally take out each trip but never use.

What do you guys do to flush out cables (I have both male and female cables going into back of fishfinder) after a trip in which they get salt water in them?
I did the same thing with my HDs-7: Bracket on a railblaza port and a dry bag for stowing the unit during surf crossings. Bracket just went in chill pod.

For the plugs I kept a little spray bottle of freshwater in the kayaking box. Soft spray with that, then blow out water and spray with CRC electrical spray.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:05 am

That spray bottle is a good idea, thanks. Useful for reels etc if it could be a while before getting home. Wouldn't harm to have a bottle of saltaway, etc in the glove box either. Something I hadn't thought of until now.

owaldock
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 pm

I haven't taken the sounder off my kayak in over 2 years. I figure you are more likely to do damage to the plugs or brackets connecting and disconnecting it every time its used rather than damage from the odd turtle. I have checked the condition of the plugs and taken off the cover once or twice after a dunking but thats about it.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm

owaldock wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 pm
I haven't taken the sounder off my kayak in over 2 years. I figure you are more likely to do damage to the plugs or brackets connecting and disconnecting it every time its used rather than damage from the odd turtle. I have checked the condition of the plugs and taken off the cover once or twice after a dunking but thats about it.
I routinely swapped my FF between boat and kayak and stored it inside in cupboard between trips. I didn't have any issues.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information