Just finished my initial set up

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 pm

So here's some photos.

I've been watching a lot of youtubery, and the thing to do, is apparently to rig up 'Milk Crates' as our American cousins call them, with rod holders, live bait tanks and in some instances, most of a fishing tackle shop.

Most of what I've done is not new under the sun, but I post it here anyway in case it's helpful to someone :)

I've tried to do everything cheaply, you'll see a lot of those cheap aluminium carabiners from the $2 shop, they wont last as well as stainless steel but they're cheap to replace, all my rope came from a $5 bin at Bunnings.

1, The name Valkohai, I got boat lettering from bannerbuzz.co.nz, they even had a NZ phone number. But the lettering came from India, rolled up and heated as it crossed the Equator. I had a hell of a time getting it on the boat, but thanks to this board, I managed it. Hair dried the hull, Isopropyl Alcohol to clean, hair dry again, credit card to squeegee. How long it'll last remains to be seen.

2, the next three photos show the Transponder for the Fishfinder being glued into the recess on the bottom of the Kayak. I used Selleys All Clear.

3, I put a restraining strap over the forward hatch, which in my opinion, being rubber, could pop, if a heavy enough wave, landed on it.

4, I had a chill bag and a couple of dry bags already, the chill bag has a plastic bin in the bottom so that Ice and fish spines don't puncture it.

5, Compass, I have found that a simple compass can be, when you're out and the mist or rain obscures the horizon, good to keep a general course. The orange bag is two reels of flourocarbon leader.

6, Drink holder, the yellow plastic thing and the yellow plastic on the trolley wheels is parts of a Kathmandu cricket bat I found on the inorganic and kept, thinking it might be useful one day. :) Tackle box fits down the side of the seat quite well.

7, Bait Board, tethered and tucked under the seat, Humminbird, care of, the kind and generous, Stinky Inky. Two yellow ropes to tether forward rods, white rope to tether paddle. Cleat for Anchor.

8, Deck hatch, showing top end of transponder installation, battery in foam pack. Those little black and yellow storage bins were $6.95 for six at Mitre10 mega.

And full o gear...

9, Gaff and net fit quite nicely in the seat back. Improvised cargo net from old landing net, to keep stuff secure behind the seat.

10, I installed two more rod holders behind the seat. That way, I can store 4 different rods, A, Snapper rig, B, Larger Kingfish type stump puller, C, Small thin live bait catcher and D, Longer casting type rig. Shock cord tethers. I can then bring the rod or rods I want to use, forward to the two forward holders.

11, Anchor buoys, one thing I found wide spread, was the use of buoys on the anchor line, so you can drop the anchor and pick it up later, in an emergency or to follow that marlin... 1 litre tomato sauce bottles from PaknSave. My anchor and my setline anchor are in the army bag. The anchor rope was another one of the $5 bin purchases from Bunnings.

Well I hope that's helpful to someone and to the others, don't laugh too much :)
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Marc N

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:36 pm

My idea for the setline, so I don't have to faff around with extra buoys and anchors, I will just clip it on to my Anchor, easy....

VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:52 pm

You have been busy. :D
Mental on here is the go to guy for decals. ;)
Those cheap as caribiner type clips will not save your rods in a decent turtle. Small SS ones are easily bought from Mitre10 or Burnsco or Smart Marine etc, good idea to leash everything though ( except your gaff) :y: :y:

Glass is Class.. dedant

Marc N

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 am

dedant wrote:
You have been busy. :D
Mental on here is the go to guy for decals. ;)
Those cheap as caribiner type clips will not save your rods in a decent turtle. Small SS ones are easily bought from Mitre10 or Burnsco or Smart Marine etc, good idea to leash everything though ( except your gaff) :y: :y:
Hey Dedant,

thanks for the heads up on Mental, for the stickers, when the ones I've done fall off, I'll look him up .

You are right about the cheap as carabiners, but frankly I cant afford stainless at the moment.

To give an idea on how cheap I really am, here are two further examples:

Drogue/Sea Anchor - I got a hi-vis vest made from some sort of fine mesh, for $3 from a $1 shop, sewed up the arm holes and the front, left a little bit open at the collar, et voilà! - perfectly serviceable sea anchor, if a slightly strange shape. When I was young we used to use a 20litre plastic bucket.

Live bait cage, also at the $1 shop, you can buy net bags and so on, that are intended for women to wash their smalls in, some of these, when opened, have a barrel-like shape. I got one that's about 400mm long by 200mm diameter, used a coat hanger to make two rings to stiffen the 'barrel' ends and this I will hang over the gunwale. It won't take a large Kahawai, but it will take mackerel and sprats etc and keep 'em alive for live baits.

When I have some spare money, I may be able to afford better fittings, but until then, there's certain perverse delight in making and utilising things for free or cheap, when the alternative is to go to a shop and pay brand name prices. I've seen perfectly ordinary drogues on trade me for over $100, bit o canvas, little bit o rope... there are cheaper ones but frankly $3, if better for me:)

In the first photo in the OP, you can see the 'yak is sitting on a little foldable metal support, I got two of these for $4 ea. They are supposed to be for sitting on but repurposed, are great 'yak supports.

Mind you, the shark teeth stickers I bought for ~$5 on eBay Australia, have yet to arrive, after being sent a month ago...
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:26 pm

I like a float at each end of my set line. When it is time to retrieve it I lift the down- current float, remove the anchor, leave the float attached then paddle back to the up- current float and start the retrieve. This means you are not pulling the kayak up against the current which makes things easier on you and the gear.

Marc N

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:58 am

That's good idea, I may get a float for my up current end.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:27 pm

There is a lot going on right there, look forward to your trip reports mate :y:

Marc N

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Well I've been out almost every day since Xmas, and I couldn't be more happy with my set up, now that I've learnt to take, just two rods and minimal tackle, I'm light enough that 'Valkohai' really skims along with minimal effort from my unfitness.

I've been fishless so far, But more due to my getting the hang of paddling and so forth.

I was out in the big wide ocean near Maketu several times in the last few days, I was somewhat cautious as my 'yak doesn't look like one, that'll handle the waves and surf for getting in and out.

But I am happy to report, the surf at the beach and bar, were no problem and I can handle swells and waves, in the medium ~ small range, I don't want to chance it, with big.

I did have one spill, I was coming in through the small surf (2~3 foot), and I decided to run up on the sand.

I was literally in 6 inches of water, when a wave, picked up my arse and slung it over my shoulder. No harm done, actually a bit of fun.

Apart from lightening my laden weight, I have cut an inch, off the legs of my seat and now the 'yak feels much more cohesive, much less 'top heavy'.

In retrospect I shoulda got a slightly larger boat, but now I'm feeling much more 'in tune' with this one and Kauri Point, is now my next excursion, when this f'n weather clears.

:D
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

Marc N

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 pm

dedant wrote:
Mr Dedant, you are absolutely correct, I'm off to get stainless now.

See photo below, for what happened to three of the cheapos...

VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Marc N wrote:

Kauri Point
Beware the sharks.
Have you tried Watchman Island? Can be hot and is only about 4' of water. Easy paddle from Birkenhead wharf or even quicker if you head over the bridge.

Marc N

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:56 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm
Marc N wrote:

Kauri Point
Beware the sharks.
Have you tried Watchman Island? Can be hot and is only about 4' of water. Easy paddle from Birkenhead wharf or even quicker if you head over the bridge.
Thanks I'll see how I go, I've fished Kauri Point, since I was a nipper, some 50 years. Sharks have never bothered me, mainly bloody Conger Eels.

Though it was near Kauri Point, close to Meola Reef that some fellas saw a 2 M Great White jump out of the water last year...
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

Marc N

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:48 am

Well the Kauri Point trip was fun, no fish, but next time I'll take bait, I was bouncing a plastic along the bottom, from B'head wharf to just past Chelsea Sugar Works, but no fish, I had a sabiki rig for mackerel etc on another rod, but again, nothing... Oh well.

As I got past Chelsea Sugar Works, the wind got up to 15~20 knots and gusts were kicking up little white caps, so to prevent myself being swept up harbour to Hobsonville, I made a beeline to the shore and had a pleasant, leisurely, coast hug back to Little Shoal Bay.

Of note, Ferry wakes don't seem to upset my 'yak, it rides them easily.

I saw this at Little Shoal Bay the other day:

VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Nice work.

As funds allow consider replacing you mitre 10 tackle boxes with some sealable ones. The sistema range (available cheap at supermarkets) are good and reasonably priced.

For more ping you could look at something like plano sealed tackle boxes, but they are expensive.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information