Thoughts on prowler elite 4.5

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
Farnorth_yakka
Kayak Make: prowler
Kayak Model: elite 4.5

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Just brought a 2nd hand prowler elite for $1100 just want to know what there thoughts on how they perform and how you've have decked them out to suit all you're needs cheers :y:

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Had one a long time ago. Was a good performer. I obtained a long thinish bag I placed between my bag for tackle and baits.

Got me some great fish and was a major step up from my Q Kayaks Escapade... seems like an awfully long time ago now :|

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:11 am

My first 2 fishing kayaks were 4.5s

They're good performers in wind and chop, while paddling. I found the stability not that great while fishing and I remember someone on here saying he used to turtle all the time until someone told him that's what the 4.5 does. He changed kayaks and hadn't turtled since and I've done the same.
Having said that, I weigh a ton and I think most kayaks just say "hey, I'm lighter than this blob of mass, let's put him at the bottom", so if you're a little lighter than me, which most people are, then the stability might not be a problem.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

The Fish Whisperer

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:16 am

Hi you have just brought a great kayak.
I have had mine for about 8 years now and cant see any reason to change. They have great stability and speed. I have never turned turtle due to the yak being unstable and im a big lad. I have fished in some pretty nasty chop and swell and never felt i was about to go for a swim. It just bobs up and down over the chop.
You just need to relax onboard. I have a long narrow click clack plastic box on the flat area sitting between my leg and have small containers inside that that has my jig heads etc inside. I will try and find some photos of my set up if you like.
Happy fishing.
Clive

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 am

ive had one for 10 years now and i love it. ive had no issues with turtling (surf not included but after practice the amount of turtling reduced) and found it to be very stable and very good to handle. as with most yaks you will no doubt tinker with it to add value for the way you fish as do we all. i added a box at the rear well to carry stuff in, the usual rod holders forward and a FF using the bottle holder to put the transducer in.
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

Farnorth_yakka
Kayak Make: prowler
Kayak Model: elite 4.5

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks for the feedback guys appreciate it it has rereasured I've brought the right kayak! If you've got any photos of how you've set you're kayak up would love to see them cheers :y:

• Information