Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (2017)

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:19 pm

if anyone thinks the stern hatch is ornamental, i can assure you it is highly functional:
IMG_0651.JPG
its cavernous down there and you dont realise it until you stick your head in there

you would easily fit a two person tent and all the bits you need to go camping in there

factory fitted rudder controls and stubs of the deck mounted rod holders visible in this image, along with the base of the ute box off in the distance

ive no idea how to right the image as the source file is the right way up

lespresso

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm getting just over 3 hours out of the Burnsco battery sold as 12AH, with the sounder drawing 1.7A, so in reality it is a 5.1AH battery or thereabouts

as the guys mention in the thread on LiPO batteries the capacity of these 'jump start' batteries is being over stated even if you calc it at 5V i think, but i am mostly focused on: does it solve the problem i want to solve, as opposed to 'am i getting screwed'?

the ute box is fairly well protected inside, so i decided to buy a second identical battery
IMG_0661.JPG
when the 1st battery dies i simply unplug the jack from the first battery and plug it into the second

https://vimeo.com/200599786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

of course there are concerns about how long these batteries will last in a salt water environment, but ill let you know how they go

the attraction is they have a combined weight of just 871g and they are the right shape for the space i want to put them into; the ute box can accommodate a thermos now that the SLA is no longer taking up that space:
IMG_0663.JPG
i also purchased another battery on trademe which was supposedly 68.8Ah, but someone slipped up and left a sticker on it, so that was returned to sender fairly promptly:
IMG_0623.JPG

Beast
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Cabo

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:38 am

Limitless did a post a while ago on sounder power consumption, I can't remember the exact numbers but I think the drain nearly halved going from full backlight compared to 70% or thereabouts. Might help your battery last longer with no noticeable difference really in visibility?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Ocean Kayak Cabo

lespresso

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm sure that's right. i will measure the effect of turning down the screen

what caught me out is moving from a first generation helix 7 si to a second generation helix 7 si (with chirp) - the power consumption seems to be a lot greater - that's where this story began really (but the results on screen more than compensate for it)

i expect anyone running a smaller unit would get away with just one of these batteries. in an ideal world they wouldn't have any usb ports and would be sealed off, but I'm willing to experiment as the upside is worth it for me

lespresso

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:47 pm

short clip of the centre unit that is supplied with the 2017 Tridents (all models), as i discarded it and it never really got a mention:

https://vimeo.com/200940168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lespresso

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 am

custom fish bag arrived this morning. very pleased with it. 11 x 700g cooler blocks ensure the fish is super cold all day, even in summer
IMG_0708.JPG
the advice to turn down the screen brightness on the sound made a much bigger difference to battery life than i thought too, so thank you for the suggestion - still easy enough to read at brightness level 7

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:54 pm

lespresso wrote:
fit black plastic filler screws to stop the saltwater corroding the threads;
where did you find the plastic filler screws?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

lespresso

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Lands for Bags, of course ;)

No, http://kayakadventures.co.nz

lespresso

Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:04 pm

got out this morning, very pleased with this yak - it is good for a sustained speed of 4.0-4.2 knots, about 7.5km/h fully loaded, even into the SW on the way home which is what i bought it for. you can do 5 knots if you are fit enough (I'm not). the extra length really pays off when the water cuts up a bit. plenty of fish, but small, so nothing came home unfortunately but it was good to get some time on the water and have a shakedown trip to see what works and what doesnt

using the rear handle for a fairlead for the drogue works well, then run back to a railblaza eye on the aft rail mount

i have removed the shaft paddle keeper from the port side gunnel as i occasionally whack my knuckles on it when paddling and the blade paddle keeper provided on the foredeck works extremely well, far better than i expected

with the screen brightness turned down to 7 i am getting 5 hours of use out of one Burnsco lipo battery, so for many sounders i expect you would get 6 hours and one battery would be enough - I'm very pleased with how it is working so far - early days

one thing i have come to appreciate is just how good a hull the OK Ultra 4.3 is - if you are in the market for a second hand kayak i think it is very hard to beat. the Ultra 4.3 is very easy to get moving with just two strokes and has a fine entry on the bow as a result of plenty of flare, which turns any spray down nicely

the trident 15 needs a bit more of a push to get it up to full speed relative to the Ultra 4.3, and whilst a fuller bow means it lifts nicely through the chop, the lack of flare means any spray is picked up and blown back at you, which isn't too much of a problem as you are a fair way back

the seat on the trident is superb; if you want to get stuck into the paddling you can lift the rake right up on the seat cushion and bring the foot pegs aft, so as you pull the stroke your thighs are driving the hull forward. a low back on the seat also makes it easy to turn around and access anything that you have aft of the seat (drogue, rods, fish bag, etc)

coming from the much wider Predator 13 the hull is a lot more lively underneath you in that you can steer the hull by leaning to one side or the other, but it seems to have very good secondary stability and i think you would have to try fairly hard to tip yourself out

i particularly appreciate the metre of boat aft of the fish bag which provides ample bouyancy to stop the yak from dragging its tail when you load it up in the back, and this was another factor in deciding to get the trident 15

its also light enough for me to carry around on my own, which is important for me

i am very pleased with the trident 15; it blends the speed and sea keeping abilities of the OK Ultra style of kayak with the comfort of suspended seating - i would not buy a new yak where i had to sit on the deck

i hope to get out again on monday and catch something worth keeping

reiss.

lespresso

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:59 pm

i got 4 hours 10 minutes out of the first battery today before changing to the second one; for a 440g battery I think that's a result
IMG_0716.JPG
42-50cm in the bag - returned plenty of the smaller models

a beautiful day out on the water - hope to get out again tomorrow

lespresso

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:01 pm

IMG_0717.JPG
a better day today, a 50cm and a 59cm. not troubled by small fish today, which is always nice

a bit more breeze today and the trident cuts through it nicely without submarining or porpoising, very impressed

washed up & relaxing, a good day out

lespresso

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:56 pm

IMG_0746.JPG
one thing you might want to do before you slice your finger open like i did is knock the sharp corners off the aluminium extrusion with a file - it only takes 10 minutes or so to do them all. its a bit of a sod having to knock the anodising off i know

done:
IMG_0747.JPG

lespresso

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34 pm

if you have given up kayak fishing because you found sitting on the deck for any period of time too uncomfortable, or you are about to give it up for this reason, i encourage you in the strongest terms to at least try a kayak with a suspended seat - i think it will keep you in the sport, or get you back into it

in my view suspended seating is transformational

i would not buy a new kayak that did not have this feature

lespresso

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:41 pm

a nice day out today; had 2 hours before school pickup

a 65cm and two 40cm jobs
IMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:28 pm

lespresso wrote:if you have given up kayak fishing because you found sitting on the deck for any period of time too uncomfortable, or you are about to give it up for this reason, i encourage you in the strongest terms to at least try a kayak with a suspended seat - i think it will keep you in the sport, or get you back into it

in my view suspended seating is transformational

i would not buy a new kayak that did not have this feature
My new kayak has the "Elite Seat" mesh fabric, thermarest lumbar pad, and all ! Ahh.. the comfort! Can't wait for my arm to heal and I can get out there and enjoy the ride.
The Americans do comfortable well , :) :inlove:

Glass is Class.. dedant

lespresso

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:21 pm

hi dedant

what did you end up getting?

kind regards

reiss.

dedant

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:47 pm

lespresso wrote:hi dedant

what did you end up getting?

kind regards

reiss.
Jackson Kraken, and the seat has been pre moulded for me by our very own Forum Cheif, Mental, himself! 8)

Glass is Class.. dedant

lespresso

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:42 pm

ah, nice. what was wrong with the seat it comes supplied with? - i took the 15.5 for a paddle and thought the seat was very good

sorry, i think i have misunderstood. you are simply saying you bought it off mental.

dedant

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes, ;) and rudely implying a certain arse may be fat that might have stretched it a bit :lol:
Joking of course...I haven't paid for it yet. :$

....ah...next week however...! :rock:

Glass is Class.. dedant

lespresso

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:16 pm

IMG_0761.JPG
the full size wheeleez are the only way to go across the soft stuff, and i dont regret buying them

however, i tend to drag my kayak into the water until it is floating and them unstrap the wheeleez, pull them out from under the yak, and then open the spring pins on each end to remove the wheels and stow the frame and wheels in the front hatch

i dont like to think of myself as being especially clumsy, but on more than one occasion now the pin has flicked out into the tide as i have been pulling the sprung loaded ring open, even when i am fully aware of the risk

until friday i have always managed to retrieve the pin from the sea bed by standing very still, waiting for any kicked up silt and sand to clear and then using a torch or sunlight to locate the pin, reach down, and grab it. but on friday my luck ran out and despite searching for several minutes i couldn't locate it

so i have bought a couple of R clips to replace them with - i will report back to let you know if they are an improvement

has anyone else come up with a better solution, as it really takes the shine off the day?
(i nicked the light weight carabiner off the leash on the end of my Catch pliers as a 'get home' solution)

reiss.

• Information