Sail things I should know?

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
Colapop
Kayak Make: Not sure

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:21 am

Hey guys, I love my kayak (see below) but I'm a bit apprehensive about going out fishing and not having the energy to get back. I had a couple of strokes last year and I'm pretty much all recovered but the fatigue bogey sneaks up on me. a) I need to go out with other guys (but I don't want to put them under any pressure to look after me - which I don't need) b) I'd like to get a system that won't cost me a lot that I can leave off once I get fitter i.e. a sail.
So... I was thinking about rigging a sail for the front of the 'yak that doesn't take up too much room and is easy to remove. I have an old windsurfer sail that I can cannibalize for the sail. I thought the sail could fit over the mast like a windsurfer and use a similar set up for the boom? 3 points of contact for the stays but don't want to create too much obstruction along the sides. The centre mount will be changed to hold a fishfinder.
I'm as tight as a fish's arse so don't want to spend any money (buy a rig) and I reckon I've got the bits and knowledge so looking for your thoughts?
Attachments
kayak.jpg
kayak.jpg (91.98 KiB) Viewed 2431 times

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:48 pm

you might be better off having an electric motor as sometimes the wind dosnt blow the way you want it to :D
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:16 pm

There is a helpful article by Limitless in the current issue of the Fishing News.

From memory: -
- With a simple rig, you can only really run with the wind behind(ish) you.
- With a more complex (expensive) rig you will get more angle, but still won't really be able to run upwind.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:00 pm

"Kayaker Nath" (Nathan Pettigrew) may still have the sail I made for Red Dwarf - Basically a clone of the Pacific Action sails (the DIY page by Grant Glazer seems to have 404'd, possibly due to copyright)
Try flicking him an email - his address is easy enough to find through a google on his name, "kayak" and "bone carving"
I seem to recall that sail had me in the region of a sphincter-clenching 15kts

Alternatively there's:
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29771 and
http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Artic ... kSail.html

both of which look to be the same animal.

Comments regarding flopping around are due to not strapping the foot down enough - you really need to crank it up like it's insane.

Remember to tether when sailing a yak.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Jules67
Kayak Make: Feelfree
Kayak Model: Moken 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4536

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:24 am

Could be really cheap and use a large golf umbrella.
If it has a clear clear section would be even better.
Just have to find a way of tying it down.

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:02 pm

Jules67 wrote:Could be really cheap and use a large golf umbrella.
I've done this as a bit of fun in Bream Bay. Unfortunately it's not very efficient, and even the heaviest unbrella's tend to blow inside out too easily to be reliable. They also tend to rust pretty quick.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

icekayak

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Jules67 wrote:Could be really cheap and use a large golf umbrella.
Haven't tried one myself, but here's a purpose made umbrella (sail) complete with clear section and tiedowns.

At $15USD, probably worth a shot.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sal ... 1eacdc71f9
Attachments
Hot-Sales-42-Kayak-boat-Wind-Sail-Paddle-Sup-Board-Sail-with-clear-window (1).jpg
Hot-Sales-42-Kayak-boat-Wind-Sail-Paddle-Sup-Board-Sail-with-clear-window (1).jpg (138.96 KiB) Viewed 2116 times

GHOST RIDER
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: RELOAD

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:11 pm

If you go for sail on your kayak you may need a rudder as well something else you might have to look at :?:
Profish RELOAD
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:13 pm

A keel might be handy as well !!

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:04 am

I think with the short length of your kayak you may struggle with a Pacific Action type sail so the one icekayak posted would be the go :y:

I've used a PA 1.5m paddle heaps on several Prowlers (4.5 / 4.7 / 4.3) heaps of fun but they cannot be relied upon to get you home, you should never venture further out than you can paddle back!
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Colapop
Kayak Make: Not sure

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I've scored a teardrop flag so I was playing with the idea of using that... I'll replace the material with something a little stronger. If it holds up in the back yard (obviously not on the kayak) i'll do a couple of trials on water close in. I have pruchased a straight ron holder to install at the bow which after customising the size I'll try it out and post a couple of pics for you all to comment on.

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:50 pm

I have the windpaddle adventure sail and highly recommend it!! Takes up little room on the kayak,you can sail side on to the wind with a rudder, and lastly it is a lot of fun downwind catching waves and getting some good speed up :y: :rock:

lloyd
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 pm

I bought a kayak with sail last year, and put an earlier post up here:-
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21214

It's a Venture Islay 14, the sail's from an Aussie outfit - Flat Earth Sails, and could be retro fitted, as there's one main mounting point and held in 4 places. I originally came upon it looking for a sit on kayak with skeg instead of rudder, and then noticed the sail option. It is possible to tack side on and indeed into the wind, but with the latter it's quicker to lower the sail and kayak into the wind as normal.
Certainly in a decent wind behind some form of steering besides the paddle is useful, the Venture Islay has got a skudder - effectively a skeg that can steer with and that works very well.
To be honest for 14 foot kayak without the sail, it feels slower than it should be - I find my Dad's Prowler much quicker and even my own Tetra 12 - though the latter weathercocks badly in a cross wind, and the reason I wanted skeg in the first place. I think it's slower because the Islay's hull has a flatter design, possibly to mirror a sailing boat, which have flat bottoms and centre board.
However in a fair wind especially behind or slight tacking it's quite quicker than normal paddling. No where near what small yacht would be like, say a Laser, but that's because the sail is still relatively small compared to the size of kayak.

razzoli
Kayak Make: stealth
Kayak Model: evolution 495

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:03 am

here is what have fitted on my evo495 - pacific action 1 square meter perfect
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-11-25 at 22.46.31.jpeg

• Information