Transducer mounting - in hull options

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
Stevogonefishin
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Scupper Pro TW

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:34 pm

I have an older style kayak without a transducer scupper recess.

I opted to mount the transducer in-hull a few seasons ago with silicone. It has since come lose, so looking to remount. Couple of options - affix to the inside of the hull with marine goop again or make a well and fill it with water each time I go out.

Does anyone know about the comparable performance of the signal going through the marine goop and pvc kayak hull versus the signal going through the water in the well and the pvc kayak hull?

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:48 pm

If you make a wet well out of multiple layers of thin closed cell foam a few mm thick, it doesn't let go.

I did that in the Espri and years later it's still attached.

Not big draw to fill with water each time. Or use glycerine instead of water with a layer of epoxy resin on top to make it permanent. See Limitless's post in this thread.

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... lit=glycol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Stevogonefishin
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Scupper Pro TW

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks for the link.

Want to keep the ability to remove the transducer and fishfinder completely. Might try the Eseries railblaza mount for the power (already have the hole drilled so may as well use it), and feed the transducer cable through the hatch seal.

piwikiwi
Kayak Make: perception
Kayak Model: swing

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Ive had a wet mount in my swing for years. I selleys allcleared a PVC pipe end cap from Bunnings onto the bottom of the kayak. The Tranny just sits in there and I chuck a bit of water from my drink bottle in it each time I go out. I jam a bit of closed cell foam over the top to hold it steady. It can all be removed easy peasy except the end cap.

Dino_nz
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:43 pm

my scrambler has the same issue,i also put mine inside the yak with silicone it to the hull,but during last winter i removed it and made a block of polystyrene cut the center out for the transducer,i just silicone the poly to the inside of the hull and fitted the transducer inside the block just above the hull about 1mm room,now i can remove the transducer when i want,

• Information