Hornet FF Install

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Installed a Lowrance 4 into SloMartins Hornet during lunch today, here's the result.

I tacked a short length of threaded stainless M5 rod to the transducer bracket which made life so much easier than previous installs.
Slice of teflon for topside
The usual excess 438 metres of redundant cable wouldn't fit in the moulding, so popped a slot in the hull, well above water line, and tucked the bulk out of the way, the cable-tied bundle wedging snugly between the finder scupper and the tray moulding. Left enough in the moulded scupper to allow for future adjustments in head unit position or upgrade. Note the two orange cable ties, which prevent load on the through-hull sealant (only a token smear needed as the hole was nearly airtight anyway - Use a cable tie to draw the doubled cable through the hole, spreads the load better than cord or fishing line).
Power lead was likewise squeezed through an equivalent diameter hole - no sealant required; Round cable, round hole... :P

The rest is self explanatory.

From lifting the yak off the roof rack, to lifting it back on was just over 40min and powered solely by two bacon butties and a bottle of Green Beret.

Cheers
HLD

Hornet Finder.jpg
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

slomartin
Kayak Make: Prijon
Kayak Model: Kodiak
VHF Call Sign: Fat Hippo

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:41 pm

the only thing left is to get it wet first thing tomorrow and see how quickly the hornet sinks :)

twobarefeet
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Mate, this was a huge help in getting my Hook 4 installed on my Hornet

Thanks for the photos etc.

While mines not as tidy as yours it seems to have done the job!

• Information