Old Town, Predator 13

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas and help here.
lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:24 pm

very pleased with the new toy. comfort and performance to match.

the humminbird helix 5 si transducer fits nicely enough into the hull (bye bye draggy Railblaza transducer kit), although i need to make myself a packing gasket as it is currently buried slightly too deep in the hull, which is compromising the SI image

the factory supplied paddle holder is in the right place, unlike the BGII, so you don't take the skin off your knuckles, so that's two major benefits

happily Winch's ute box drops straight in too - a really useful bit of kit, and sadly out of production now it seems, so if you have one look after it

the Railblaza 360 degree white LED navlight (USCG rated 2NM) comes highly recommended

as you can see from the images below, i started off with the rod holders too far forward - i came home from the maiden voyage on saturday and bought a couple of rail mounted railblazas to fix to the horizontal tube behind the seat as a storage location when paddling and then moved the forward mounting plates with the HD Starports aft to the middle

a few more tweaks to come, but it is about 1.3-1.5Km/h faster than the BGII that it replaces and is much happier going to windward. doing 6.3-6.5Km/h instead of 5Km/h might not sound significant but it is about 30% more and really noticeable

if you want to crank it you can sustain speeds of 7.5Km/h and the hull has a decent amount of glide in it

the hull is very dry and very quiet, and the molded carrying grips in the bow and stern work well

downwind and three-quartering the stern gets pushed around a bit and most owners would probably opt for a rudder, but I get to pick and choose my fishing days so it is unnecessary for me. it tracks arrow straight going to windward, without a rudder

a lot of thought has gone into this yak and it shows. i made mention in my BGII thread that i would like to see the concept developed further with a BGIII. that is what the Predator 13 is and I'm delighted with it. if anyone wants to take it for a sea trial before they open their wallet, get in touch as I'm usually around. recommendation: buy
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0725.JPG
Last edited by lespresso on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ocean Kayak Trident 15 (2017)

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Nice Reiss, hope you enjoy it. They really are lovely boats.

I found that front rodholder position a bit too close while paddling, but you can experiment. I love that you can just chop and change as you wish with those mounting plates.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

lespresso

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi there!
You're right, of course
So my plan is to lift the rods in the rod holders from behind the seat to the gunnel when I want to fish
Best
Reiss

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:15 am

Plenty of room for kings in the boot to eh?
Enjoy Reiss there a nice yak.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

lespresso

Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:10 am

thank you mike

for anyone pondering the move, it would be easy to compare the BGII and P13 stats on paper and assume they are similar products in terms of their performance, handling, and sea-kindliness. on the water they are very different

lespresso

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:42 pm

helix side imaging transducer now in the right place

a bit of this from Placemakers (i thought this kind of foam draught excluder would compress too easily, but this is relatively dense and it works, as long as the adhesive likes saltwater):
IMG_0733.JPG
positioned like this:
IMG_0735.JPG
i initially had problems with the foam toward the front of the transducer compression more readily than toward the back, resulting in the transducer tilting forward which isn't ideal. to address this i took the foam off again and instead of running it parallel down each side of the transducer i angled it in toward the centreline of the transducer toward the aft of the transducer. this results in the foam pushing the aft of the transducer down less initially so it starts off angled aft and is then pulled level as you tighten up the wing nut on the mounting screw from the deck side of the mounting scupper. i also had to mount a strip at right angles across the front, hull side edge of the transducer to further discourage it from tilting forward as the wing nut was tightened - it still will if you over tighten it, but its snug enough

gives this:
IMG_0734.JPG
my first choice was this anti-slip pad that you can buy to put on the gunnels of tinnies:
IMG_0736.JPG
it is much more dense and i would not have incurred the compression issues above, but i needed to put two layers on to get enough thickness and it didn't adhere to itself very well and didn't like going around a curve either - in the long term only the compression from the thread would have held it there

if this fails i will probably customise a scupper plug, or nylon plug, pushed up from the bottom and drill a couple of holes in it for the cable and long screw that holds it all in place

lespresso

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:37 am

IMG_0752.JPG
i decided some time ago that i didn't want a running rig again - too many bits of string just generally getting in the way and making the kayak look like a floating washing line

so i bought a railblaza mounting eye and a quick release shackle:
IMG_0754.JPG
after a bit more thought i realised the quick release shackle wasn't needed either - more weight, one more thing to clank against the hull, one more thing to wash; so i simplified it to this:
IMG_0755.JPG
it only works because a kayak is a light vessel so the loads from the drogue or anchor are slight, otherwise the Railblaza eye would bind in the Starport under load and it would be difficult to release quickly

i will then mount Starports port and starboard on the aft mounting plates, and if i feel the need i can do the same on the forward set of mounting plates, providing anchorage points fore and aft on both sides: no need for the washing line!

FatherOfMany

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:10 am

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's going to work well. The rear mounting plates are not far enough back to prevent the kayak from turning sideways in a strong current or wind. Am I missing something?
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

lespresso

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:22 am

It will work fine. I don't go kayak fishing in a force 9 gale

Because of the tapering of the deck at bow and stern a running rig stops well short of the bow and stern anyway - if you take a look at my thread on the BGII you can see this quite clearly

Our American friends even recommend mounting drogues from amidships and fishing with the kayak across the wind, but I can't convince myself that is very seaman like

Some yaks have so many bits of string tied on that you would be trapped like a fish in a net if you turtled in the wash around a headland

lespresso

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:50 pm

IMG_0758.JPG
so, this is how my C-tug axle stubs are faring after about 3 or 4 months use. admittedly i have about a 7 minute walk to and from the beach, but they are well cared for, being completely disassembled each time and the sand and grit washed off with a brush

i have read many favourable comments about the wheeleez here and offline, so today the mini set arrived;
IMG_0757.JPG
i will report back on how the two compare, but first up there is a significant weight saving;

C-tug (with the heavier sand wheels): 4.7Kg

Mini wheeleez: 2.5Kg (with tie downs)

i see pneumatic wheels as a disadvantage in terms of reliability, but perhaps their performance merits it

i didn't chose the full size wheeleez because i understand they won't fit in an ocean kayak hatch, which is a must for me (if this isn't correct please let me know)

reiss.

Beast
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Cabo

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:58 am

lespresso wrote:
IMG_0752.JPG
i decided some time ago that i didn't want a running rig again - too many bits of string just generally getting in the way and making the kayak look like a floating washing line

so i bought a railblaza mounting eye and a quick release shackle:
IMG_0754.JPG
after a bit more thought i realised the quick release shackle wasn't needed either - more weight, one more thing to clank against the hull, one more thing to wash; so i simplified it to this:
IMG_0755.JPG
it only works because a kayak is a light vessel so the loads from the drogue or anchor are slight, otherwise the Railblaza eye would bind in the Starport under load and it would be difficult to release quickly

i will then mount Starports port and starboard on the aft mounting plates, and if i feel the need i can do the same on the forward set of mounting plates, providing anchorage points fore and aft on both sides: no need for the washing line!
I take it you are still able to release your anchor from a seated position?
Ocean Kayak Cabo

lespresso

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:59 am

Yes, absolutely.

Beast
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Cabo

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:08 am

I think it'd probably be fine for a drogue but I'm not sure you'd be able to reach far enough forward or backward to safely anchor on the bottom, mind you the current and wind here mean that is much more common than using drogues. I got around the washing line/tangled effect by having two running rigs, one from halfway to stern and another on other side to bow. As you sit in the middle of the yak at the end of the rigs, no risk of a tangle in a turtle.
Ocean Kayak Cabo

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:13 am

One thing to consider with the running rig Reiss.

In a situation where there is wind and or waves the advantage to a running rig is in being able to manipulate your drift to face the waves. While this doesn't sound like a big deal, in an emergency situation I.E. you can't paddle be it through a gear or body failure you rely on the sea anchor to slow your drift till help arrives. Sitting side on to waves in this situation is neither pleasant nor safe which is why a running rig is of a big advantage... If you are running the above setup make sure your drogue has good floats to avoid it sinking and that the chord is longer so the angle is flatter, to close and the drogue will have the effect of pulling the side down as you rise over a wave. (this note is more for others considering following suit)
From a fish perspective a side on drift is going to be faster than what can be achieved rear or forward hitched, you have a larger windage so obviously a faster drift.

These are just points of note to pro's and con's.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

lespresso

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:04 pm

Should that scenario arise I would mount in long bridle fashion through both port and starboard eyes. Easy.

Flowrider
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Who stocks the Predator 13 in NZ? I wouldn't mind taking a look at one in the flesh. That seat looks so comfy I would probably nod off.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

STRAY DOG
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Flowrider wrote:Who stocks the Predator 13 in NZ? I wouldn't mind taking a look at one in the flesh. That seat looks so comfy I would probably nod off.
Your local Ocean Kayak dealer should have one in stock if not they maybe able to get one in for you

FatherOfMany

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:34 am

Flowrider wrote:That seat looks so comfy I would probably nod off.
Dude, it's a real concern! I've been riding back to Waitawa Park on the Predator XL with electric motor (so not even the act of paddling to keep me awake) and found myself nodding off in that seat to the point of cold shivers through my whole body as I regained balance. Fortunately not all the way to a turtle, but I'm sure I wasn't far off from another FOM drama that day!

They really are very comfortable!
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

lespresso

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:56 pm

a footnote to say i upgraded to the full size wheeleez a few months back - the mini frame size just wasnt big enough for the predator 13 and the smaller wheels meant you could easily drag the tail on the ground when crossing the road, etc

anyway, the point of the update is to say that the wheels fit in the forward hatch and the frame lies under the seat; it fits whether the seat is in the high or low position, which might be of interest to someone

yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:43 am

Hi... is that the bigger version of the ute box.. I have one for my ultra 4.3.. will that fit?

Regards Bruce
lespresso wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:24 pm

happily Winch's ute box drops straight in too - a really useful bit of kit, and sadly out of production now it seems, so if you have one look after it

• Information